Comment On Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

You know what really gets to me? People who open links too quickly. Haphazardly opening new tabs all over the place...it really grinds my gears. [expand full text]
« PrevPage 1 | Page 2Next »

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 06:46 • by ParkinT
// Please don't submit this to the daily WTF



I think I may add this comment to ALL my code from this day forward!!

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:08 • by Evo
Obviously, that's anti-ddos protection. You know, if suddenly loads of anonymous members go to the site and open loads of tabs to flood the server with requests!

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:12 • by TheCPUWizard
It looks like the code is intended to handle situations where the person has ALREADY ctrl-clicked to open a new tab, is still on the old tab (ie the new tab has not opened and gotten focus)....

Especially if the site in question is slow to load, this *may* actually be useful (the intent, not necessirly the implementation.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:14 • by Remy Porter
398343 in reply to 398342
The feature is useful. This is a CodeSOD- it's the implementation that's the WTF.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:16 • by matejcik (unregistered)
This seems to defend against chronic double-clickers. You know, the people who double-click everything because they don't know any better.
- "i just clicked this link why did it open two tabs?"
- "Did you double-click?"
- "what's that?"

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:18 • by Ralph (unregistered)
This is the rotten fruit of the "computers are too hard to use!" crowd.

You remember, they said "Oh the horror! You might have to use a keyboard. Typewriters are only for lowlifes like secretaries." So executives wouldn't touch a computer because it would be beneath them.

Then Microsoft copied Apple who copied Xerox who after all was a copying company with the bright idea of eliminating the keyboard. "Look! Only one button to push! Ever! What could possibly be easier? You just point at what you want and shoot."

Well everybody knew this was a lie but we're talking marketing folks here so they got away with it.

Soon we were blessed with double-click and right-click and click-hold (drag) and triple-click and control-click and... you can probably spot a trend here.

Anyway this code is for those luzers who think you have to double-click web links because... well, um, I never really thought about it, just because.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:24 • by Hantas
398346 in reply to 398345
Soon we were blessed with double-click and right-click and click-hold (drag) and triple-click and control-click and... you can probably spot a trend here.


What about scrollwheel-click?

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:31 • by Remy Porter
398348 in reply to 398346
In my day, that was "middle mouse click". You kids and your fancy scroll-wheels.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:38 • by ZoomST (unregistered)
398349 in reply to 398348
Remy Porter:
In my day, that was "middle mouse click". You kids and your fancy scroll-wheels.


In fact, using the middle mouse button in FireFox over a link, opens it in a new tab. Is it covered by this code? Seems not, AFAIK.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:39 • by OldestYoungster (unregistered)
398350 in reply to 398348
Remy Porter:
In my day, that was "middle mouse click". You kids and your fancy scroll-wheels.


Pah! You kids and your fancy three-button mice.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:40 • by jbabs (unregistered)
If you ever find yourself writing a comment in your code that says "Please don't submit this to the daily WTF", it means two things:

1) you're doing it wrong.
2) it's going to end up on dailyWTF.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:43 • by TheDreamer
Wonder if that was taken from an IT security training I took recently? People were complaining that it was failing to show them as completed and giving them their certificate of completion. The answer was they were clicking the final link too quickly, and it hadn't generated the certificate yet. So instead it error'd and no certificate and no completion record entered into employee file.

And, there was no way to tell if they had reached the end successfully and this had happened, and there were a lot of angry people.... the decision was to see all the people that had started the test, spent at least 5 minutes in the test before failing to complete. And, calling all those people and asking if they had successfully completed or not and granting credit to those that said they did.

Too bad I waited until they worked out the bugs before taking it....

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:44 • by Bring Back Nagesh (unregistered)
So I'm assuming this abstraction for System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser is written in VB or C# and is meant to work for built-in IE frames inside a parent application?

If so, TRWTF is forcing someone to use an embedded web browser to do something rather than opening the link in the user's default web browser. A bit like Steam, which as we know, is also a WTF.

And even if you absolutely MUST force people to use a browser panel inside your app, why does it need to have multiple tabs?

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:45 • by daef (unregistered)
398354 in reply to 398346
Hantas:
What about scrollwheel-click?

i tend to use either
* ONLY my (das)keyboard or
* ONLY my mouse (a cheap chinese "X7")

depending on what i'm doing and how comfortable i'm sitting
(imagine hangin' around in your living room, wanting to advance
to the next room on chaturbate... nifoc)

scrollwheel-click is very handy sometimes - ppl who change the middle-button to anything different are retarded as far as i'm concerned...

...the most retarded ppl are the ones writing mouse-drivers which remap the middle mouse-button per default (e.g. "proprietary zoom s#!7")

on the other hand i use approx. -2147483648 different keyboard shortcuts to navigate and edit sourcecode in visual studio - so i might not be the "average use case"...

captcha: wisi

tl;dr
did you know you can use the middle mouse-button to:
* close tabs in any sane browser (without having to aim for the 'X')
* open tabs (same thing about browser sanity, don't bother to aim for the '+')
* the default NESW-scrolling doesn't "lock in" when you keep it pressed instead of middle-clicking 2 times
* linux -> paste from "second"/"temporary" clipboard (last selection)
* if you have none: enable 3-button-emulation and middle-click by left+right-clicking simutaneously
* open a link in a new (backgrounded)-tab

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:56 • by Hantas
398355 in reply to 398354
I use mousewheel-click all the time for browsers, but it's not even just browsers. It also closes tabs in things like notepad++ and some (most?) IDEs.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 08:58 • by el_slapper (unregistered)
It's me, or beginning by disabling the clicked button just after being clicked would do the trick?

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 09:03 • by justanotheradmin
398357 in reply to 398354
daef:

* close tabs in any sane browser (without having to aim for the 'X')


It's this feature that forced me to download the AHK plugin to middle-click delete mails in Outlook.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 09:07 • by daef (unregistered)
398358 in reply to 398357
justanotheradmin:

It's this feature that forced me to download the AHK plugin to middle-click delete mails in Outlook.

one does not simply download AHK "plugin"s...
...one writes his own AHK-scripts!

one of the features i've stolen from the AHK-KDE-Mover-Sizer is double-tap "alt" and then middle-click a window to close the creating process (similar to xkill)

speaking about xkill - does anyone know a "psdoom"-port to windows? :-)

if you don't know psdoom - check that awesome peace of code out today!

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 09:09 • by A developer (unregistered)
398359 in reply to 398339
Yeah me too.
I'm going to put it at the top of every class and method I write.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 09:10 • by QJo (unregistered)
398360 in reply to 398351
jbabs:
If you ever find yourself writing a comment in your code that says "Please don't submit this to the daily WTF", it means two things:

1) you're doing it wrong.
2) it's going to end up on dailyWTF.


"Please don't throw me into that brier-bush over there, Brer Fox!"

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 09:25 • by DLove (unregistered)
The comment should be at the top of the function, the whole thing as a concept is totally flawed.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 10:03 • by fjf (unregistered)
398365 in reply to 398345
Ralph:
Soon we were blessed with double-click and right-click and click-hold (drag) and triple-click and control-click and... you can probably spot a trend here.
Press control, meta, hyper, super, shift, top, and front, then scroll the wheel while dragging with the right button and shouting into your mic.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 10:05 • by Ben Jammin (unregistered)
You know this was given to the programmer by some bad-with-computers, double-clicking boss, and despite multiple protests, was forced to be a feature.

With his head hung low, and outlook on life crushed, the coder hacked this out with a plea to the world to not hold it against him.

Doing it wrong?

2013-01-03 10:23 • by anon (unregistered)
398367 in reply to 398351
jbabs:
If you ever find yourself writing a comment in your code that says "Please don't submit this to the daily WTF", it means two things:

1) you're doing it wrong.
2) it's going to end up on dailyWTF.


But it means you *know* what you're doing is a bad hack and you know you shouldn't, but gets the job done when you need it done.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 10:26 • by Your Name (unregistered)
398368 in reply to 398344
matejcik:
This seems to defend against chronic double-clickers. You know, the people who double-click everything because they don't know any better.
- "i just clicked this link why did it open two tabs?"
- "Did you double-click?"
- "what's that?"


These are the same people that do not know that "click" means "left click".

Click on this.
> Ok.
Now right click on that.
> Ok.
Now click on this other thing.
> Left or right?

They also double-click every single time.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 10:29 • by Brad (unregistered)
I disagree; any code that is commented, "please don't submit this to the Daily WTF" should never be submitted. It means the writer *tried* to come up with a better solution (realizing what he or she is doing sucks), but couldn't.
I think code submitted herein should be code that is downright negligent or that flagrantly violates logic, reason, etc.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 10:35 • by Zapp Brannigan (unregistered)
398370 in reply to 398368
Your Name:

These are the same people that do not know that "click" means "left click".

Click on this.
> Ok.
Now right click on that.
> Ok.
Now click on this other thing.
> Left or right?

They also double-click every single time.

Leftists unite against right-handed fascist overlords!

Re: Doing it wrong?

2013-01-03 10:39 • by vt_mruhlin (unregistered)
398371 in reply to 398367
anon :
jbabs:
If you ever find yourself writing a comment in your code that says "Please don't submit this to the daily WTF", it means two things:

1) you're doing it wrong.
2) it's going to end up on dailyWTF.


But it means you *know* what you're doing is a bad hack and you know you shouldn't, but gets the job done when you need it done.


Yeah, that comment looks like it might as well say "PHB is making me do this, but I think it's a terrible idea". I would love to see the jira ticket--or more likely email thread--that spawned this feature.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:15 • by Kaosadvokit
398373 in reply to 398353
Bring Back Nagesh:
So I'm assuming this abstraction for System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser is written in VB or C# and is meant to work for built-in IE frames inside a parent application?

If so, TRWTF is forcing someone to use an embedded web browser to do something rather than opening the link in the user's default web browser. A bit like Steam, which as we know, is also a WTF.

And even if you absolutely MUST force people to use a browser panel inside your app, why does it need to have multiple tabs?


why an integrated browser?

Because your application has an integrated document viewer and you happen to use HTML-based documents--after all, that minimizes the effort to have the same documents available online.

Because users (and IT staff) like to install different browser versions and you value a consistent user experience.

Because you're writing software to run on a semi-embedded system where you want to lock the user into a single application (think kiosk software).

Why support tabs?

Because people are used to them. Back when IE6 had 90% market share, tabs were a niche feature that 90% of people didn't use. They use them now; support is expected. If you want angry users, provide a user experience that is inconsistent with their expectations.


No, TRWTFs are developers who live in a small corner of the development world and don't understand that there are applications where this is a legitimate and proper design decision. TRWTFs are developers that rush to condem actions they don't understand because they don't understand them. Do you know of a better debounce mechanism? I don't; similar mechanisms have served me well across hundreds of projects, because it is simple, easy to implement/maintain, produces the correct result, and fails to produce an incorrect result. Sure, this one is rough around the edges, but it is pretty clear what it does and why.

Maybe it was the smaller readership years ago, maybe it was the submission quality, I don't know... but TDWTF has really gone downhill over the last several years.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:35 • by Gaza Rullz (unregistered)
"click! click! click! ...clickety ... click! click! click!"

... Oh no you don't !

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:35 • by Dotan Cohen (unregistered)
398375 in reply to 398355
Hantas:
I use mousewheel-click all the time for browsers, but it's not even just browsers. It also closes tabs in things like notepad++ and some (most?) IDEs.


If you would like browseresque tab handling in Eclipse, comment on this feature request:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=362176

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:39 • by Mr X (unregistered)
398376 in reply to 398373
Kaosadvokit:

Because users (and IT staff) like to install different browser versions and you value a consistent user experience.


I'm with you on most of your reasons, but this one stinks. The whole reason people install different browser versions is because they *want* a different user experience. Who are you to tell the users they are wrong, and lock them into something they don't want?

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:44 • by urza9814 (unregistered)
398377 in reply to 398376
Mr X:
Kaosadvokit:

Because users (and IT staff) like to install different browser versions and you value a consistent user experience.


I'm with you on most of your reasons, but this one stinks. The whole reason people install different browser versions is because they *want* a different user experience. Who are you to tell the users they are wrong, and lock them into something they don't want?


Users also expect a consistent experience throughout the application, and most (outside of the *nix world especially) DON'T expect one application to spawn another for core functionality.

What if, for (a somewhat poor) example, you're writing something like Outlook? Emails are going to be in HTML; you could write your own parser, but why reinvent the wheel? But you also don't want to launch a full browser every time the user clicks to view a message.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:48 • by xorsyst
398378 in reply to 398377
urza9814:

What if, for (a somewhat poor) example, you're writing something like Outlook? Emails are going to be in HTML; you could write your own parser, but why reinvent the wheel? But you also don't want to launch a full browser every time the user clicks to view a message.


To continue your example, what if there's a url in the message? If I click on it, should it spawn my browser, or render the webpage in my application?

To use a different example (application help). Lots of applications have their help in html format in one form or another (including windows chm). Many of them launch the windows help viewer or a browser to view the help. Is that wrong?

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:48 • by d.k.ALlen (unregistered)
There was a programmer who had a problem with his code.
He added in the comments, a plea not to post his code to TDWTF.

Now he has two problems.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 11:58 • by urza9814 (unregistered)
398381 in reply to 398378
xorsyst:
urza9814:

What if, for (a somewhat poor) example, you're writing something like Outlook? Emails are going to be in HTML; you could write your own parser, but why reinvent the wheel? But you also don't want to launch a full browser every time the user clicks to view a message.


To continue your example, what if there's a url in the message? If I click on it, should it spawn my browser, or render the webpage in my application?

To use a different example (application help). Lots of applications have their help in html format in one form or another (including windows chm). Many of them launch the windows help viewer or a browser to view the help. Is that wrong?


Obviously there's no firm line there but my opinion, as I said, is that core functionality shouldn't require an external app. Help isn't core; you can use the browser or windows help to do that. Clicking a link from an email isn't either if your app is an email viewer and not a web browser. Sure, both are HTML documents in a sense, but most users don't know that and they're certainly different conceptually.

If I'm forced to interact with two separate applications simultaneously to use your software, you're probably doing something wrong. There are certainly valid reasons to do that, but definitely not for something Grandma might be using...unless Grandma is a sysadmin.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 12:10 • by Kaosadvokit
398382 in reply to 398378
Is it wrong to use a help viewer application that is an OS standard for its intended prupose? No.

Is it wrong to spawn a web browser to view a standalone document? No.

Is it wrong to spawn a second application to interact with components of the first? Usually. When I open a mail message, I need to interact with it. Reply, forward, delete, etc. These are not operations for a web browser to handle, they are for my application. The browser that displays the message content should be embedded. When I click a link, I'm now transitioning to the standalone document interface; it should be a browser window and, at this point, user experience concerns say to use the user's preference because it is a standalone resource, it should conform to their expectations--your application supports the content, not the presentation now. Of course, if the link is a mailto: link, it shouldn'thand it off to the browser, it should create a new message (thats my opinion, feel free to disagree, but implementation details like this aren't the topic here).

Another example: When you open that help viewer, does it in turn open your browser of choice? No, because it is responsible for presenting the content. The HTML pages are application content, not standalone documents.

A key part to both of those examples is that the user doesn't necessarily know that emails or help files rely on HTML. Your application black-boxes the implemetnation, so it is your application that has the responsibility to present the content to the user.

This is all part of the user experience; what tasks does the user expect to be performed by your application, and what parts shouldn't be. The implementation of the tasks your application performs is irrelevant, the expectation is that the application performs the tasks.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 12:10 • by Jeff (unregistered)
398383 in reply to 398368
Your Name:
These are the same people that do not know that "click" means "left click".
...who are also the same people that say "H" "T" "T" "P" "colon" "backslash" "backslash"...

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 12:17 • by LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet
398384 in reply to 398373
Kaosadvokit:
Bring Back Nagesh:
So I'm assuming this abstraction for System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser is written in VB or C# and is meant to work for built-in IE frames inside a parent application?

If so, TRWTF is forcing someone to use an embedded web browser to do something rather than opening the link in the user's default web browser. A bit like Steam, which as we know, is also a WTF.

And even if you absolutely MUST force people to use a browser panel inside your app, why does it need to have multiple tabs?


why an integrated browser?

Because your application has an integrated document viewer and you happen to use HTML-based documents--after all, that minimizes the effort to have the same documents available online.

Sure, that makes sense... Although having everything available online has other advantages, like being able to work remotely and without installing software.

Because users (and IT staff) like to install different browser versions and you value a consistent user experience

Indeed. And you can give them a consistent experience by making your website adhere to web standards. Let's not do what people used to do and lock people down to IE6 and ActiveX for the sake of consistency.

Because you're writing software to run on a semi-embedded system where you want to lock the user into a single application (think kiosk software).

Yuck... Kiosk browsers are a WTF in their own right.

Why support tabs?

Because people are used to them. Back when IE6 had 90% market share, tabs were a niche feature that 90% of people didn't use. They use them now; support is expected. If you want angry users, provide a user experience that is inconsistent with their expectations.

I'm sure people would rather use their browsers instead - as it is the very thing that defines their expectations - rather than trying to reinvent it for them. That's far more likely to make them angry.

No, TRWTFs are developers who live in a small corner of the development world and don't understand that there are applications where this is a legitimate and proper design decision...

Sadly we don't know what the application is, so we can't tell whether it's justified, but given the code snippet, I would rather not find out.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 12:17 • by Terry (unregistered)
398385 in reply to 398381
urza9814:
If I'm forced to interact with two separate applications simultaneously to use your software, you're probably doing something wrong
unless, of course, someone can come up with a way to view and operate two separate applications simultaneously. They could be in separate views, side by side on your screen! These views could be rendered as boxes you look "through" to see the application behind them. Almost as if the boxes were... well... let's just call them windows.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 12:20 • by NH (unregistered)
It looks like a remedy for those sites that opens a kiloton of windows when you try to close one. Some phishing sites did that a few years back.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 12:29 • by Roger (unregistered)
398387 in reply to 398386
NH:
It looks like a remedy for those sites that opens a kiloton of windows when you try to close one. Some phishing sites did that a few years back.
Hint: if you've got your computer configured such that you're allowing random asshats all over the internet to open windows on your computer without your permission, you deserve to get phished and worse. And sooner or later, you will.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 12:49 • by Kaosadvokit
398389 in reply to 398384
@LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet:

Adhering to standards is all good and well, however the standards don't state which browser has the correct font-rendering engine. The standards don't mean you will have an ideal implementation with whatever your end-user has installed, and the standards don't get your application 508 certified if significant portions of the operating environemnt cannot be assessed.

Being dismissive of 99% of development efforts doesn't make your 1% right, it makes your views of the 99% wrong. You don't seem to understand that an embedded web browser isn't about browsing the web, it is abotu displaying application-centric content that happens to be stored as HTML. Kiosks that are powered by browsers strike a nice balance between cost and benefit. Strangely, this appeals to the suits, even if it isn't the most elegant solution from a software standpoint. Complicator's Gloves, anyone? Would you like an arbitrary system to pass condiments? I'm sure somebody can provide links if you don't get the references.

You're right that we should code to standards, and I won't defend IE6's blatant disregard for so many standards, but lets also thank Microsoft for bringing us the powerful AJAX engines we know and love in violation of the standards. At the same time, we owe the canvas to Apple ignoring standards as well. Standards are great, but while they provide a framework, saying developers must adhere to standards stifles innovation.

It is pretty obvious you've never developed COTS or embedded software. Thats OK. Sit quietly and learn, don't shoot your mouth off preaching about things you don't know. You won't hear me getting high and mighty when we start talking about analytics and e-commerce, but when working with embedded, standalone/air-gapped, and/or COTS software... yeah, I have opinions, and a lot of experience on which those opinions are based.

Lastly, jsut because we don't know if it is justified given the limited context, doesn't mean we should start condemning. I know a lot of novice develoeprs that, desperate to avoid looking stupid, take the content here as gospel; it is a disservice to the community to condemn whithout a necessary context.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 13:33 • by da Doctah
398390 in reply to 398349
ZoomST:
In fact, using the middle mouse button in FireFox over a link, opens it in a new tab.
Cool! You just saved me something like 24 hours over the remainder of my lifetime.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 13:37 • by instigator (unregistered)
398391 in reply to 398373
This.
I don't see why this submission is a WTF. A few more points:

- Without context, it's hard to say if the GUI call was right or wrong
- The developer likely didn't make the GUI call
- I welcome anyone to explain why the implementation is a WTF

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 13:47 • by instigator (unregistered)
398392 in reply to 398384
LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet:
Yuck... Kiosk browsers are a WTF in their own right.


Are you saying we shouldn't have Kiosks? Or that Kiosk's should not have the ability to show documents? Even help documents?
There are more things on Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 13:50 • by instigator (unregistered)
398393 in reply to 398378
Neither is necessarily wrong, it depends on the situation, and possibly personal preference.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 14:02 • by jay (unregistered)
398394 in reply to 398376
Mr X:
Kaosadvokit:

Because users (and IT staff) like to install different browser versions and you value a consistent user experience.


I'm with you on most of your reasons, but this one stinks. The whole reason people install different browser versions is because they *want* a different user experience. Who are you to tell the users they are wrong, and lock them into something they don't want?


Who do you think you are, Microsoft or something?

Something I've always loved about Microsoft: They design software that is far more complicated than is necessary to do the job. Then they build in all sorts of defaults and obscure preferences to control all the complex behavior. Including lots of cases where the software rejects your input or automatically changes your input to what the designer thought you must really have meant. These are, of course, turned on by default, so the program will ignore or change your input without explanation.

One simple example: I created an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of some expenses. One of these expenses was my Health Savings Account. So I typed "HSA" into the cell. Excel promptly changed this to "HAS". When I noticed it I thought I'd just mistyped, so I tried again. It displayed as "HAS". I tried several times, carefully pressing the keys one at a time. I tried getting it in with cut-and-paste, backspacing and fixing it, etc. No luck. After a period of frustration, it finally hit me that Excel must have an "autocorrect" feature like Word -- I hadn't known about this before that time -- and they thought I was trying to type the word "has" but was too stupid to spell it right after 20 attempts. So I searched through the preferences screens to find where the option was and how to turn it off.

If I hadn't wrestled with this same stupid feature in Word for many years, how would I have even known what to look for?

It's one thing to reject inputs that can't be processed. Like "record not found" -- what else could the program do? But to say, "Your input is valid and we couild store or process it if we wanted to ... but we just don't believe that you know what you're doing so we're just going to change your input to what we think you probably meant." -- that's idiotic.

</rant>

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 14:08 • by jay (unregistered)
Guarding against a second click when the program has not yet completed processing the first click, and so a second click will result in erroneous or undefined behavior, makes sense. Putting in an arbitrary time delay for a second click does not make sense. You have no assurance that the process will take EXACTLY that arbitrary amount of time. What if you give 1 second but the process takes 2 seconds, and the user clicks again after 1.5 seconds?

I've had a few web pages where I've disabled the submit button once the user clicks it. If the next thing that happens should be a repaint or a new page, than that's all that's necessary. If after processing the user will still be on this page -- ajax calls or whatever -- then when the button is again valid I re-enable it.

Re: Slow Down, You Click Too Fast

2013-01-03 14:16 • by Spewin Coffee (unregistered)
398397 in reply to 398351
jbabs:
If you ever find yourself writing a comment in your code that says "Please don't submit this to the daily WTF", it means two things:

1) you're doing it wrong.
2) it's going to end up on dailyWTF.


3) ...
4) Profit!

It is all part of The Plan!
« PrevPage 1 | Page 2Next »

Add Comment