• kool rick (unregistered)

    WOahahahahahahahhaa so true DOG!

  • TwelveBaud (unregistered)

    That last one has been in S&D for ages, and still is in there.

    Captcha: craaazy (like the coders behind these WTFs)

  • (cs)

    The Spybot bug is a known issue, explained here. Fixed in V1.5

  • nicodache (unregistered)

    authentification is the french word for authentication. it seems the developer was a french-speaking one...

  • Macxdmg (unregistered)

    Is spybot under attack?!? o.0

  • Rod Horny (unregistered)

    That Spybot one looked a lot worse in the past. You should see what Tea-Timer interface looked like when it caught a problem. You couldn't even read any buttons.

    So I call that last one an old BFD, not a WTF.

  • Macxdmg (unregistered) in reply to SurfMan
    Comment held for moderation.
  • (cs)

    Here in Montreal, I see the "Authentification" one often. I guess that since the French word for authentication is actually spelled that way, it's easy to understand the confusion.

    Maybe. ;-)

  • (cs)

    The first one is from Netbeans' xml editor. I opened up the web.xml file from my webapp, and it's right there under the References tab. This is 5.0, does anyone know if it's fixed in 5.5 or 6.0?

  • Jens (unregistered) in reply to nicodache

    Right.

    Not just French. German, Spanish (afair), just about every language in that area except for English spell it that way.

    <nitpick> Sometimes, it seems geocentrism has been replaced by anglocentrism ... see also the recent discussion about movie translations / dubbing. People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English. </nitpick>
  • (cs) in reply to Jens
    Jens:
    Right.

    Not just French. German, Spanish (afair), just about every language in that area except for English spell it that way.

    <nitpick> Sometimes, it seems geocentrism has been replaced by anglocentrism ... see also the recent discussion about movie translations / dubbing. People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English. </nitpick>
    Neither do 80% of Americans...
  • dkf (unregistered) in reply to Jens
    Jens:
    Not just French. German, Spanish (afair), just about every language in that area except for English spell it that way.
    That's what localization is for. And this is Error'd, so l10n errors are fair game.
  • (cs) in reply to Rod Horny
    Rod Horny:
    That Spybot one looked a lot worse in the past. You should see what Tea-Timer interface looked like when it caught a problem. You couldn't even read any buttons.

    So I call that last one an old BFD, not a WTF.

    Its an Error'd submission, which don't have to be comprised of WTF`s.

  • (cs) in reply to purge
    purge:
    Its an Error'd submission, which don't have to be comprised of WTF`s.

    Yet with every posting, someone has to point out that the screenshots or photos taken are not WTFs and shouldn't be posted and yadda yadda yadda.

    Sometimes I wonder if people have better things to do with their time or do they fill it all with complaints about things that don't suit their opinions?

    -- Seejay

  • JL (unregistered) in reply to Jens
    Jens:
    People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English.
    While you are remembering that, please do not forget to also remember that 80% of the world's population writes VCR manuals in English that the other 20% finds hilarious.
  • (cs) in reply to seejay
    seejay:
    purge:
    Its an Error'd submission, which don't have to be comprised of WTF`s.

    Yet with every posting, someone has to point out that the screenshots or photos taken are not WTFs and shouldn't be posted and yadda yadda yadda.

    Sometimes I wonder if people have better things to do with their time or do they fill it all with complaints about things that don't suit their opinions?

    -- Seejay

    The dumb comments are part of what makes this forum interesting. I'm just trying to do my part. Would this place not be boring otherwise?

  • red (unregistered) in reply to JL

    If I could speak only one language, I probably would also make fun of people doing mistakes in their second or third language.

  • (cs) in reply to JL
    JL:
    Jens:
    People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English.
    While you are remembering that, please do not forget to also remember that 80% of the world's population writes VCR manuals in English that the other 20% finds hilarious.

    The Intel instructions with their processors are a WTF with regard to language/formatting. You get Step 1 in every language, the Step 2 in every language, then Step 3 in every language....

  • (cs) in reply to red
    red:
    If I could speak only one language, I probably would also make fun of people doing mistakes in their second or third language.
    Humor happens naturally, and isn't politically correct. What's funny is funny.
  • (cs)

    THe funny thing about the SpyBot bug is that you could make the dialog box wider (which revealed nothing), but not longer (which might have allowed you to read it)

  • Brutal (unregistered) in reply to Jens

    That doesn't explain why english speakers will pronounce "Authentication" as "Authentification".

  • German B (unregistered) in reply to hunter9000
    hunter9000:
    The first one is from Netbeans' xml editor. I opened up the web.xml file from my webapp, and it's right there under the References tab. This is 5.0, does anyone know if it's fixed in 5.5 or 6.0?

    I've just taken a look on 5.5 and it's there.

    PS: The Spanish version of the word is spelled differently but keeps that structure: autentificación.

  • Anon Fred (unregistered)

    In my crypto-circles, I would see "authentification" quite often.

    It's nothing rare. Just google it.

  • grammerCop (unregistered) in reply to JL
    JL:
    Jens:
    People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English.
    While you are remembering that, please do not forget to also remember that 80% of the world's population writes VCR manuals in English that the other 20% finds hilarious.
    ahem, should that not be "...in English which the other 20%..." :)
  • (cs) in reply to Jens
    Jens:
    <nitpick> Sometimes, it seems geocentrism has been replaced by anglocentrism ... see also the recent discussion about movie translations / dubbing. People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English. </nitpick>
    So that means that making localization errors is okay? If I use a few false cognates in my French localization, should I dismiss the complaints?
  • (cs) in reply to grammerCop
    grammerCop:
    JL:
    Jens:
    People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English.
    While you are remembering that, please do not forget to also remember that 80% of the world's population writes VCR manuals in English that the other 20% finds hilarious.
    ahem, should that not be "...in English which the other 20%..." :)
    No, it should not. Using "which" would indicate that the act of writing the manual in English is the issue, rather than the way it was written.
  • Kzinti (unregistered) in reply to FredSaw
    FredSaw:
    red:
    If I could speak only one language, I probably would also make fun of people doing mistakes in their second or third language.
    Humor happens naturally, and isn't politically correct. What's funny is funny.

    His point as that only people who can speak one language find these things funny.

  • grammerCop (unregistered) in reply to operagost
    operagost:
    grammerCop:
    JL:
    Jens:
    People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English.
    While you are remembering that, please do not forget to also remember that 80% of the world's population writes VCR manuals in English that the other 20% finds hilarious.
    ahem, should that not be "...in English which the other 20%..." :)
    No, it should not. Using "which" would indicate that the act of writing the manual in English is the issue, rather than the way it was written.

    oh no, I've started a which hunt...

    (ahh, I was mistaken but it was soooo worth it!)

  • (cs)

    The bottom one with S&D, I discovered after using Style XP that it started doing that, nore sure if the themes in it, change the sizing of those boxes or something.

  • Spencer (unregistered) in reply to Jens
    Jens:
    Right. <nitpick> Sometimes, it seems geocentrism has been replaced by anglocentrism ... see also the recent discussion about movie translations / dubbing. People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English. </nitpick>

    But the rest of the message is in English. If the message was in German or French or ..., then it wouldn't be an issue. But if the entire message except "authentification" is properly localized in English, then it's an error.

  • (cs) in reply to purge
    purge:
    seejay:
    purge:
    Its an Error'd submission, which don't have to be comprised of WTF`s.

    Yet with every posting, someone has to point out that the screenshots or photos taken are not WTFs and shouldn't be posted and yadda yadda yadda.

    Sometimes I wonder if people have better things to do with their time or do they fill it all with complaints about things that don't suit their opinions?

    -- Seejay

    The dumb comments are part of what makes this forum interesting. I'm just trying to do my part. Would this place not be boring otherwise?

    actually no it would be informative, and useful, as it stands, it's normally a set of random complaining about the posts, if you don't like the posts, don't look at them. For the most part the site is things that are worse than failure, cases where you can't read the words so you have no idea what to click, or things that could be confusing because it's spelled wrong, are things that should have been fixed before release, now although they may not necessarily be worse than a failure, they are still things that should never hit production, that makes them all free game for the site. If you run the site, you have the right to decide what goes up and what doesn't but since the ones that post it also run it, we have no say on what's appropiate to be on the site and what isn't.

  • Sgt. Preston (unregistered)

    "Authentication" means the act of checking something's authenticity. With a version of the suffix "ify", from the Latin 'facere' (to make), embedded in it, wouldn't "authentification" (if it were an English word) mean the act of making something authentic?

  • Rod Horny (unregistered) in reply to red
    red:
    If I could speak only one language, I probably would also make fun of people doing mistakes in their second or third language.

    Uh, you mean making mistakes. =)

    CAPTCHA=burned (LOL)

  • different anon (unregistered) in reply to Brutal
    Brutal:
    That doesn't explain why english speakers will pronounce "Authentication" as "Authentification".
    It's the same reason as why people think that "prophesize" is a word. It sounds like valid English.
  • (cs)

    Users like Edwin make my life hell. He tries to click the OK button when the messagebox IS TELLING HIM TO WAIT! READ THE MESSAGE, PEOPLE!

    Geez, now I have to make a patch so that OK opens ANOTHER messagebox that says "I told you to wait!" I think I'll label its button "I am such a luser."

    --Rank

  • MFlav (unregistered) in reply to Jens
    Jens:
    Right.

    Not just French. German, Spanish (afair), just about every language in that area except for English spell it that way.

    Italian language spells it just like english. That's why we love english people ;) (although we speak an awful english) :)

  • (cs) in reply to different anon
    different anon:
    Brutal:
    That doesn't explain why english speakers will pronounce "Authentication" as "Authentification".
    It's the same reason as why people think that "prophesize" is a word. It sounds like valid English.

    Here in the Southeast, it is a word. Emphasis on "ize," like "I will prophesiiiiiiiiiiiiiiize this morning! Can I get a witness?!"

  • Dude (unregistered)

    why isn't there a halloween wtf???!!!

  • Sgt. Preston (unregistered) in reply to tmountjr
    Comment held for moderation.
  • (cs) in reply to red
    red:
    If I could speak only one language, I probably would also make fun of people doing mistakes in their second or third language.
    ... and so would I! English being my second language won't stop me though:

    Making mistakes. Claiming that you're doing a mistake is probably insulting to whoever you're fornicating with.

  • SL (unregistered)

    Well, in my opinion... since English is still a living language, and parts of it can be added and taken away really at any time, there's nothing wrong with making up words, as long as people can understand them. In fact, I encourage people to create new vocabulary as often as possible. It helps the language to mature, and grow! I mean, if it weren't for such methods, we would never have Fo Shizzle, or Californication, or Fergalitious...

    Think about it.

  • (cs)

    Wait...

  • (cs)

    One of the beta versions of Wengophone (a GPL SIP client from a french company) would say something like "You are authentified" in the status bar after you logged in.

  • (cs) in reply to Galelasa
    Galelasa:
    Here in Montreal, I see the "Authentification" one often. I guess that since the French word for authentication is actually spelled that way, it's easy to understand the confusion.

    Maybe. ;-)

    I was thinking it was a mind-meld with "identification". That it's the correct spelling of the word in French is amazing.
  • (cs) in reply to Jens
    Jens:
    Right.

    Not just French. German, Spanish (afair), just about every language in that area except for English spell it that way.

    <nitpick> Sometimes, it seems geocentrism has been replaced by anglocentrism ... see also the recent discussion about movie translations / dubbing. People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English. </nitpick>
    <more nitpick> 80 percent of the population does NOT speak English. </more nitpick>

    (I think that's right anyhow. Even though we're talking about multiple people, the actual subject of the verb is "80 percent", which is considered singluar.)

  • Netbean (unregistered) in reply to hunter9000
    hunter9000:
    The first one is from Netbeans' xml editor. I opened up the web.xml file from my webapp, and it's right there under the References tab. This is 5.0, does anyone know if it's fixed in 5.5 or 6.0?

    It's still in my Netbeans 5.5.1...

  • (cs)

    (a) According to my English/Spanish dictionary, the Spanish translation of "Authenticate" is "Autenticar." It doesn't have "Authentication", but by inference, I would think it would be "autenticación," although I'm not sure that's really a word either. Seems to me when I was developing an app for a Uruguayan company, that word came up, and the translation wasn't that obvious. (FWIW, I'm native English speaker with moderate [I can have a lengthy, intelligent conversation short of fluency] skills in Spanish.)

    (b) Besides..."authentification" sounds way too much like George W. Bush to be proper English anyway.

  • Sgt. Preston (unregistered) in reply to vt_mruhlin
    vt_mruhlin:
    Jens:
    Right.

    Not just French. German, Spanish (afair), just about every language in that area except for English spell it that way.

    <nitpick> Sometimes, it seems geocentrism has been replaced by anglocentrism ... see also the recent discussion about movie translations / dubbing. People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English. </nitpick>
    <more nitpick> 80 percent of the population does NOT speak English. </more nitpick>

    (I think that's right anyhow. Even though we're talking about multiple people, the actual subject of the verb is "80 percent", which is considered singluar.)

    I hear that argument often and I disagree with you. A percentage can't speak any language. It's the people who speak a language and they are plural. The subject of the sentence is not "80 percent'; it's "80 percent of the population". "80 percent" tells you how many people.

  • (cs)

    I once had a boss that hung up a memo he had typed up that started with, "I have determinated that..." I laughed hysterically!

  • SL (unregistered) in reply to Sgt. Preston
    Sgt. Preston:
    vt_mruhlin:
    Jens:
    Right.

    Not just French. German, Spanish (afair), just about every language in that area except for English spell it that way.

    <nitpick> Sometimes, it seems geocentrism has been replaced by anglocentrism ... see also the recent discussion about movie translations / dubbing. People, please remember that 80% of the world's population do NOT speak English. </nitpick>
    <more nitpick> 80 percent of the population does NOT speak English. </more nitpick>

    (I think that's right anyhow. Even though we're talking about multiple people, the actual subject of the verb is "80 percent", which is considered singluar.)

    I hear that argument often and I disagree with you. A percentage can't speak any language. It's the people who speak a language and they are plural. The subject of the sentence is not "80 percent'; it's "80 percent of the population". "80 percent" tells you how many people.

    Except 80 percent is describing the subject of the sentence, which is the population (singular, 3rd person). Does is the proper form of the verb "to do".

Leave a comment on “Having Fun with Words”

Log In or post as a guest

Replying to comment #:

« Return to Article